Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Money First, Health Later

Whoever wrote this for French President Nicolas Sarkozy should be given a gold star:

Welcome to the club of states who don't turn their back on the sick and the poor. In reference to the US healthcare hullabaloo.

And:

From the European perspective…when we look at the American debate on reforming health care, it's difficult to believe. The very fact that there should have been such a violent debate simply on the fact that the poorest of Americans should not be left out in the streets without a cent to look after them is something astonishing to us.

More importantly, Sarkozy said:

If you come to France and something happens to you, you won't be asked for your credit card before you're rushed to the hospital.

His words rang in my ears yesterday as I pre-registered for surgery at a local hospital. Almost at once, I was asked for $700. The amount was based on my healthcare insurance deductible and on a percentage of what the surgery will cost. When I informed the admitting clerk I did not have that kind of money, she rushed off to find a "financial counselor."

The issue was finally resolved, but not before the "financial counselor" made the rather cold side-remark of "you should be aware of your insurance and benefits before arranging surgery."

After she left, I turned to the admitting clerk and said: "Would it be easier if I went outside and fell down in front of the hospital in order to get treatment?"

She shook her head. "No. They'd probably just ship you to another hospital."

Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment